Cucumbers are a staple of the juicing world, just like celery (http://befitagain.com/2018/02/10/celery-good-times-come/). Each cucumber is full of juice just waiting to be released from their squishy fibers and refresh you! They are wonderfully cooling, soothing, refreshing and delicious.
Cucumbers are Rich in Skin and Bone Building Silicon
Found mostly in cucumber skin (so it’s super important to also juice the skin) silicon is known as one of the look-good-naked vitamins. It works to restore collagen, and makes for youthful, toned resilient-looking skin, improves wrinkles; makes our hair thick, strengthens our nails, improves our connective tissues, and even promotes flexibility in the body. From head to toe – cucumbers got you covered.
For years we’ve been told to drink our milk to get calcium for strong bones, but evidence is mounting that your body makes bones when calcium is combined with both magnesium and silica. Silica is also essential for the support of building healthy connective tissues like skin, muscles, ligaments and bones!
Cucumbers are also anti-inflammatory, which is likely why you see them placed on the eyes during beauty treatments (to treat puffiness), or sliced up in spa waters to increase hydration. LiveStrong writes: “in addition to its hydrating water content, which lends the skin moisture and reduces puffiness, the vegetable packs vitamin C and caffeic acid, both of which soothe inflamed or irritated skin. If you juice [cucumbers] with the skin on, silica from the peel helps firm up sagging skin.”
Cucumber’s combination of silica and sulphur also give them great anti-acne properties.
You’ve heard “cool as a cucumber,” right? Have you ever wondered where that saying comes from? Well …
5 Cool as a Cucumber Fun Facts:
1. It’s scientifically ‘provable’ that they’re the coolest of fruits! How’s that? Well, the internal temperature of a cucumber can be as much as 20 degrees cooler than the outside air (outside tropical regions)!
2. Cucumbers show up in the Bible in the book of Numbers: where the Israelites are reminded: “We remember the fish, which we did eat in Egypt freely — the cucumbers, and the melons, and the leeks, and the onions, and the garlic” (Numbers 11:5), which is the earliest recording of their cultivation outside of Egypt.
3. Pliny The Elder, a Roman philosopher, writes that the cucumber was the prized favorite fruit of Emperor Tiberius (42 BC – 37 AD). And so, his imperial staff made every effort to keep cucumbers on his table all year long. Charlemagne (9th century) was also a fan!
4. Columbus carried cucumbers with him to Haiti in his 1494 voyage, where cultivation began in the new world.
5. The Mandan Indians (native to the Dakotas), adopted and cultivated them beginning in 16th century.
So, they’re refreshing … but, are they good for you? You bet!
Cool Ways to Combat Cancer?
There is something unique about the acid-oils which live in cucumber skin, which seem to provide almost magical, nourishing properties for reinvigorating aging, dull or damaged skin. Two of these oils are the well-studied linoleic and oleic acids that are great for energy, metabolism, organ function, and more (similarly wonderful for inflammatory skin condition, including acne, psoriasis, eczema, and even sunburns). Cucumbers are also high in a series of tocopherols, tocotrienols, and lignans (got that?), making cucumber-based oils powerful allies against free-radical damage and several types of cancer, including breast, ovarian, prostate, and uterine cancers.
And, it’s now know that cucumbers’s lignans are responsible for reduced risk of cardiovascular disease.
Cool Antioxidant Potential
Science is discovering that cucumbers show exciting potential in the areas of bloog-sugar control and diabetis, too. According to Science Direct, with their lipid lowering and antioxidant effects, cucumbers “have a cleansing action within the body by removing accumulated pockets of old waste materials and chemical toxins” .
We get such awesome benefits from cucumber juice, if you aren’t incorporating them as part of a regular juicing program, what are you waiting on now?!